Septic tanks are commonly used where access mains sewage pipes is not possible. Septic tanks come in various sizes dependent on the amount of people that are expected to use drainage system. The government provides a free daily discharge calculator so if you are planning a new system or if your current septic tank system needs emptying too frequently this will give you an idea of the size of tank required.
· Domestic Properties see -> Daily discharge calculator (MS Wxcel)
· Commercial Properties see -> British Water Flows & Loads
LMR Drainage & Plumbing services are your first call for installation and maintenance of Septic Tanks North Wales. We also can repair and upgrade existing septic tank and cesspits systems if you are having drainage or sewage issues.
New Septic Tank Installations
Our drainage experts offer a seamless service from design to installation and can design your septic tank and soak away system to current building regulation taking into your exacting and sites requirements.
LMR Drainage & Plumbing are your first call for septic tanks in North Wales and offer expert advice for all manner of domestic and commercial septic tank installations.
There are many things to take into consideration when designing a new septic tank installation and our exports can help advise you of the best system for your site requirements and waste output rate. Sometimes the site conditions do not allow the correct fall or if the ground water level is high there may not be the necessary depths to install a standard system, so we can also design and install sump and pump systems to more challenging systems.
What is the difference between Cesspool, Septic Tank & Sewage Treatment Plant
· A Septic Tank intercepts your drain water and separated the solid waste from the dirty water. Using gravity the solid waste drops into the tank and the dirty was water is outputted via the septic tanks outlet to the soak away system to then deal with the dirty water.
· A Sewage Treatment Plant, or sometimes referred to as a package treatment plant treats the water so that the water it outputs is clean enough to be soaked away into a stream or river.
· A Cesspit or Cesspool usually found in older properties works inm the same way to a septic tank but is usually a brick built container for the sewage waste.
Common Septic Tank Problems
Backing up of drains, this can be caused by an number of reasons including in an ineffective soak away, inadequate fall on drainage pipes, blocked drain pipe or something as simple as the septic tank need emptying. here are a few more potential issues and their causes.
· Blocked drains to the septic tank: This can be caused by obstructions such as over use of toilet wipes, broken drain pipes, tree roots and incorrect fall on drain pipe. Obstruction can also be caused by a build up of non biodegradable products being flushed down the toilet such as sanity products & cigarette butts.
· Drain Backup due to ineffective soak away: If the outlet to a septic tank is in effective this can also cause the drains to backup as the water cannot be expelled quick enough to allow new waste in. Sometimes this can be due to a blocked or inefficient soak away or if the ground water level is high, thus allowing ground water to come into the outlet and make its way to the septic tank inlet and back up the drain pipes.
· Backup due to septic tank needing to be emptied: Most septic tanks require emptying every 12-24 months. This is of course dependent on the amount of waste that is being discharged and the size of septic tank. If the size of the tank is too small to cope with the amount of discharge it will require emptying on a more frequent basis. If your tank hasn’t been emptied for a few years your blockages could be caused by something simple such as the septic tank just needs emptying.
· Damage due to tree roots:- some properties suffer drainage blockages because the pipes over the years have been damaged due the growth of tree roots. The root can break the pipe and cause an obstruction which can cause the drains to back up or flood areas with sewage. A CCTV drainage servery can quickly diagnose these sorts of issues and gauge the amount of damage, and where the damage has occurred.